EU MEPS covers 2-, 4- and 6-pole single speed, three-phase induction motors in the power range 0.75 to 375 kW, rated up to 1000 V and on the basis of continuous duty operation.
The following types of motor are excluded:
- motors designed to operate wholly immersed in a liquid;
- motors completely integrated into a product (e.g. pump or fan) where the motor’s energy performance cannot be tested independently from the product;
- motors specifically designed to operate:
- at altitudes exceeding 1000 metres ASL
- where ambient air temperatures exceed 40°C
- in maximum operating temperatures above 400°C
- where ambient air temperatures are less than –15°C (any motor) or less than 0°C (air-cooled motors)
- where the water coolant temperature at the inlet to a product is less than 5°C or exceeds 25°C
- in potentially explosive atmospheres as defined in Directive 94/9/EC
- brake motors.