What Are The Key Facts Every Engineer Should Know About Energy Saving?
Energy Saving is a huge topic in the industry, and for good reason!
Increases in energy costs for the UK Manufacturing Industry have increased to such a degree that it has become one of the major issues of our time. Recently one of our pharmaceutical clients suffered an eye-watering 800% increase in its energy bills. We are likely to see the energy cost burden driving a successful profitable business into a loss.
Many commercial buildings and industrial processes use electric motors, which consume about 65% of all electricity in the UK.
Within Water Utilities this increases to 85% of all electricity being consumed. In addition to, the financial strain, it also creates a significant environmental impact. With that being said, it’s imperative you, as an engineer know the facts about energy saving, so we’ve set out the basics for you below.
- Maintaining your existing drives adds longevity for a fraction of the costs of a new drive.
- Always replace older drives when spares are no longer available.
- It’s better to take advice from a knowledgeable engineer rather than a salesperson when it comes to installing a Variable Speed Drive.
- Every VSD Application is different, and many things can affect the actual savings achieved.
- Energy monitors are the best solution to calculate energy savings.
- MV applications can deliver huge energy AND the same as low voltage.
- We prove the savings of applications before any capital investment. Our energy assessments make sure every drive in your plant is commissioned correctly.
- There are massive saving potentials for MV VSD upgrades.
- Energy will not be saved by simply putting a variable speed drive on every single Application.
- The drive can save up to 40% on energy costs, give you a lot of control over the operation, and increase productivity.
- Consider potential increased future repair costs when looking at synchronous motors.
- A fan with reduced speed by changing pulley dimensions would have the same efficiency savings as the same speed reduction with a VSD.
- All modern drives save energy.
- The correct utilisation of a VSD represents one of the easiest and quickest returns on investments and operational advantages.
Want to know more about how we can help you with energy saving, give our team a call at 01661 897332
For more FAQs, Click here.