Quantum Controls are looking to recruit an experienced and capable Electrical Design Engineer to carry out all aspects of design and engineering of control panels. This vacancy has arisen due to continued growth and a strong order book with both existing and new clients.
We have been established for over 25 years and are the largest supplier of ABB drives and motors in the UK. As part of our operations we design and manufacture control panels for a wide variety of customers across many industries. All control panel design and manufacture is carried out at our new premises in Birtley, County Durham and this is where the role will be based. This is not a repetitive production type facility; Quantum Controls build bespoke control panels to our customer’s requirements. All control panel design and manufacture is carried out in-house by our dedicated team.
This role will be customer facing and the successful candidate will be expected to be able to contribute to technical discussions with customers and colleagues. As such excellent communication skills, both written and oral, are essential for the role.
A strong knowledge of motors and motor starting and control methods would be a distinct advantage, as would knowledge of industrial control methods such as 4-20mA control loops and PLC’s.
Duties will include:
- Specifying and estimating of control panels from customer supplied documentation and/or site visits and meetings with our clients.
- Generation of electrical schematic diagrams including external and internal layout diagrams utilising AutoCAD Electrical software.
- Generation of Bills of Materials and other supporting documentation.
- Assistance with Manufacturing issues and compliance to relevant standards
- Assistance with Factory Acceptance Tests
- Liaise with other departments within Quantum Controls on technical and organisational issues.
- Generation of Operation and Maintenance files for completed projects.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be educated to HNC level or higher in Electrical/Electronic Engineering or related subject.
- Be experienced in the design and manufacture of industrial control panels and motor control centres.
- Possess excellent communication skills.
- Be capable of producing electrical schematic diagrams, preferably using AutoCAD Electrical.
- Be highly computer literate with Microsoft Office and AutoCAD experience.
- Have operational experience of SAP.
- Be commercially aware in order to make informed decisions on the selection of components based on a cost/benefit analysis.
- Have excellent time management skills.
- Have hands-on practical experience and ability with regard to the manufacture of industrial control panels.
- Have working knowledge of industries such as water treatment, petrochemical, paper and pulp and the specific challenges these present.
- Have the initiative, ability and drive to generate new designs and improve overall efficiencies.
- Be a team player and be able to contribute towards team goals.
In return you can expect a salary of up to £30,000 per annum, paid overtime, 21 days holiday per annum (plus statutory) increasing with service to 26 days. We also operate a contributory pension scheme and an annual discretionary staff bonus. Standard hours of work are 35 hours per week with 50 minutes for lunch.
We don’t expect you to skip into work on a Monday morning, but we do want all of our staff to enjoy their working environment and have a rewarding daily experience. We are not offering short term employment we want the right candidate to be part of our team for many years to come.
If you think you might be the person we are looking for then contact us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org